- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Most visitors fly to the recently upgraded Puerto Jiménez airfield from San José, since the drive is grueling and long. Driving from Golfito is a little easier these days thanks to new bridges and the newly paved road all the way from Rincón to Puerto Jiménez, though the road between Chacarita and Rincón is still full of potholes and slow going. A better option from Golfito is the motorboat launch. A rickety old passenger launch ($3 each way) leaves Golfito at 11:30 am every day and takes 1½ hours. Faster motorboat launches ($4) make the trip in 45 minutes, leaving Golfito five times a day starting at 7 am, then 10 am, 1, 3:15, and 3:30 pm. Going the opposite direction, the fast launches to Golfito leave Puerto Jiménez at 6 am, 11:30 am, and 2 pm. The schedule changes depending on demand, so check before you head to the dock. You can also hire private taxi boats at the city dock. Prices are $70 to $80 between Golfito and Puerto Jiménez. Water taxis can also take you to beachfront lodges.
A colectivo ($8) taxi—actually an open truck with bench seats—leaves Puerto Jiménez twice daily for Cabo Matapalo and Carate. It's the cheapest way to travel, but the trip is along a bumpy road—not recommended in rainy season (May through December). This group truck-taxi leaves from a stop 200 meters west of the Super 96 at 6 am and 1:30 pm.
Once you get to the main street in town, you can get around on foot or by bicycle. Rent mountain bikes from Ciclo Mi Puerto (35 meters west of Hotel Oro Verde 2735-5297) for $1.50 an hour (closed Sunday).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste