- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Finca Köbö. Go right to the source to see how cacao grows and becomes chocolate at this organic cacao plantation. The two-hour tour includes a naturalist-guided walk around the roughly 50-acre property, which includes gardens, orchards, and both primary and secondary forest. The highlight of the tour is the tasting—dipping an array of tropical fruits grown on-site into a pot of homemade chocolate fondue. Off main road, 18 km (11 miles) west of Puerto Jiménez, La Palma, 60702. 8398–7604. www.fincakobo.com. $32. Dec.–Sept., tours at 9 and 2.
Tropic Fins Adventures. Head out onto the Golfo Dulce or the open ocean on a sportfishing adventure aboard a custom-built 27-foot Ocean Runner, equipped with all the latest fishing equipment. Capt. Cory, a transplanted Canadian, has been fishing these waters for more than a decade. The boat comfortably accommodates four anglers. Half-day excursions are $650; full-day trips, which can last up to nine hours, depending on how the fish are biting, are $950. Package tours include flight from San José, plus lodging, meals, and fishing. Playa Platanares, Puerto Jiménez, 60702. 8834–6079. www.tropicfins.com.
Ciclo Mi Puerto. Rent mountain bikes from Ciclo Mi Puerto for $1.75 an hour, or about $10 per day. It's open every day except Sunday. West of Hotel Oro Verde, Puerto Jiménez. 2735–5297.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's