- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If you've got your own gear, you can do some good shore fishing from the beach or the mouth of the mangrove estuary, or hire a local boat to take you out into the gulf. The main edible catches are yellowfin tuna, snapper, and snook; catch-and-release fish include marlin, roosterfish, and swordfish.
Captain Ronny. Born and raised in Golfito, Captain Ronny has experience working at all the area fishing lodges. His daily rate is an all-inclusive $800 for a maximum of four fishers. Playa Zancudo. 2776–0201. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sportfishing Unlimited. Captain John Olson offers 28-foot center-console boats with both fly and conventional tackle. The rate is $850 per day for up to four fishers, which includes lunch, drinks, and gear. Playa Zancudo. 2776–0036. www.sportfishingu.com.
The Zancudo Lodge. This luxury lodge runs the biggest charter operation in the area, with 15 boats ranging in length from 28 to 36 feet. A day's fishing includes gear, food, and drinks ($850–$1,500 for two), and you can arrange to be picked up in Golfito or Puerto Jiménez. Main road, north end of town, Playa Zancudo, 60704. 2776–0008. www.zancudolodge.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe