- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Pavones is famous for one of the longest waves in the world, thanks to the mouth of the Río Claro, which creates ideal sandbanks and well-shaped waves. The ocean bottom is cobblestone where the surfing waves break. The most consistent waves are from April to September, and that's when the surfing crowd heads down here from the Central Pacific coast beaches. But even at the crest of its surfing season Pavones is tranquillity central compared with the surfing hot spots farther north.
Clear River Sports & Adventures. Down by the beach, Clear River Sports & Adventures rents surfboards for $15–$20 a day and sea kayaks for $15 a day. Bicycles go for $10 the first day, $5 each following day. There are a couple of computers with Wi-Fi access. This outfit can also arrange local tours. Main street, north of soccer field, Pavones. 2776–2016.
La Ponderosa rents surfboards ($20-$40) as well as bicycles ($15).
Sea Kings Surf Shop. You can buy top-of-the-line surfboards and other gear here, along with heavy-duty sunscreen, board wax, and the latest in surfer wear. You can also rent surfboards for $20 a day, boogie boards for $10. Main street, near Cafe de la Suerte, Pavones, 60704. 2776–2015. www.seakingssurf.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's