- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The drive from San José takes about three hours, and from Santa María de Dota about one hour. At Km 80 on the Pan-American Highway, turn down the dirt road signed "San Gerardo de Dota." It's a harrowing, twisting road for most of the 9 km (5½ miles), with signs warning drivers to gear down and go slow. Some newly paved sections help to ease the steepest curves. Tourist vans often stop along the road when the guides spot birds; grab your binoculars and join them!
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's