- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
This area is a must for bird-watchers, who flock here with small package tours. Individual birders can choose from a roster of expert local guides; check with your hotel for recommendations.
Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa. With the best bird guides in the area, including veteran birder Marino Chacon ($75 for a half day), this hotel organizes hiking tours in the surrounding mountains. Savegre Hotel, Natural Reserve & Spa, off the Pan-American Hwy., San Gerardo de Dota. 2740-1028. www.savegre.co.cr.
Although you can see many birds from your cabin porch, most bird-watching requires hiking, some of it along steep paths made extra challenging by the high altitude (from 7,000 to 10,000 feet above sea level). Come fit and armed with binoculars and layers of warm clothing. The early mornings are brisk up here, but you'll warm up quickly with the sun and the exertion of walking.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's