- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Tilapias El Pavón
Tilapias El Pavón Review
To enjoy an authentically Tico day in the country, follow a winding river road up to this family-run tilapia fish farm in the tiny hamlet of Vergel. You can work up an appetite on a short hike to a spectacular, nearby waterfall with a swimming hole (bring your swimsuit and binoculars for bird-watching), then catch your own tilapia. The cooks at the open-air wooden restaurant overlooking the tidily kept fishponds will fry up your fish in 10 minutes, presenting it whole or filleted, with rice, salad, yuca, and excellent patacones (fried, mashed plantains), plus a pitcher of refreshing fruit naturale, a feast for only $9. There's also wine and beer. It's open 9–6 weekdays, 9–8 weekends, so it's a good spot for lunch or an early dinner.
- Address: 2 km (1 mi) south of Ojochal, just before bridge in Punta Mala, follow a dirt road 4 km (2½ miles) uphill to tiny hamlet of Vergel, Ballena Marine National Park, 60504
- Phone: 8311–8213
- Location: Ballena Marine National Park
- No credit cards.
- Closed Mon.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
Going to Costa Rica April 8th-17...Definitly doing Pacuare river rafting, and want to do Puerto Viejo/Cahuita and possibly Tortuguero depending on the turtles...this is the big question; I've just see Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo,... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more