- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge
At a Glance
- everything you need to have an active vacation
- excellent food and service
- idyllic setting
- no air-conditioning
- cabins are fairly open to nature, so there will be some insects outside the mosquito netting at night
Check Rates from our Partners
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge Review
Hands down, this is the best eco-lodge on the gulf, combining comfortable, upscale accommodations and great food with an emphasis on adventure on both land and sea. Out the front door of the lodge are beach, bay, and mangroves, with kayaks, snorkeling, fishing, sailing, and swimming. Through the back door is a forested mountain with hiking trails, a waterfall, plenty of wildlife, and a resident naturalist to interpret the trails. The Edible Garden tour is a hit with visitors, especially when it includes turning raw cacao beans into chocolate cake. The night walks are filled with nocturnal natural wonders; you will often see more creatures than during daylight tours. For contemplative types, there is a yoga deck and a resident yoga instructor who does double duty as a massage therapist. The palatial two-story main lodge is a tree house, crafted from 15 kinds of wood. Luxurious, hexagonal wooden cabins with open-air showers are scattered around a lush garden that ensures privacy. For guests more comfortable in rooms with walls, there's a stucco guesthouse with four large, comfortable rooms, shaded by mango trees. Imaginative meals are served family-style at a large table in the second-story dining room-cum-lounge with an unbeatable tropical-garden view.
- Address: Golfo Dulce, accessible only by boat from Golfito or Puerto Jiménez Golfito, 60701 | Map It
- Phone: 2258–8250; 2222–0704 in San José; 866/504–8116 in U.S.
- Website: www.nicuesalodge.com
- Location: Golfito
- 5 cabins, 4 rooms, 1 house.
- Rate includes all-inclusive.
- Closed Oct. 1.–Nov. 15.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Diving amongst a vast school of hammerhead sharks in the Cocos Island of Costa Rica is accessible to experienced scuba divers or to the general traveller aboard a dive submersible. Read more
Pat Hewitt of Costa Rica Travel Exchange planned our great trip to Costa Rica. Read more
I am heading to Costa Rica, Guatemala & Belize this winter. Read more
· News & Features
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Costa Rica's main draws are firmly rooted in its landscapes—rainforests, beaches, mountains, and... Read more