- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge
At a Glance
- everything you need to have an active vacation
- excellent food and service
- idyllic setting
- no air-conditioning
- cabins are fairly open to nature, so there will be some insects outside the mosquito netting at night
Check Rates from our Partners
Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge Review
Hands down, this is the best eco-lodge on the gulf, combining comfortable, upscale accommodations and great food with an emphasis on adventure on both land and sea. Out the front door of the lodge are beach, bay, and mangroves, with kayaks, snorkeling, fishing, sailing, and swimming. Through the back door is a forested mountain with hiking trails, a waterfall, plenty of wildlife, and a resident naturalist to interpret the trails. The Edible Garden tour is a hit with visitors, especially when it includes turning raw cacao beans into chocolate cake. The night walks are filled with nocturnal natural wonders; you will often see more creatures than during daylight tours. For contemplative types, there is a yoga deck and a resident yoga instructor who does double duty as a massage therapist. The palatial two-story main lodge is a tree house, crafted from 15 kinds of wood. Luxurious, hexagonal wooden cabins with open-air showers are scattered around a lush garden that ensures privacy. For guests more comfortable in rooms with walls, there's a stucco guesthouse with four large, comfortable rooms, shaded by mango trees. Imaginative meals are served family-style at a large table in the second-story dining room-cum-lounge with an unbeatable tropical-garden view.
- Address: Golfo Dulce, accessible only by boat from Golfito or Puerto Jiménez Golfito, 60701 | Map It
- Phone: 2258–8250; 2222–0704 in San José; 866/504–8116 in U.S.
- Website: www.nicuesalodge.com
- Location: Golfito
- 5 cabins, 4 rooms, 1 house.
- Rate includes all-inclusive.
- Closed Oct. 1.–Nov. 15.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
Hello! Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more