- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
At a Glance
- lush garden
- convivial public area
- small but excellent gift shop
- steep, short trails that end at road
- limited privacy except in honeymoon suite
Check Rates from our Partners
Trogón Lodge Review
Set in a fantasy garden filled with fuchsias, hydrangeas, and hummingbirds, the Trogón Lodge is more a relaxing hideaway than a hiking-heavy destination. The green-roof wooden cabins have comfortable rooms with a double and a single bed and big windows. White-tile bathrooms have rain-forest showerheads. Gas heaters and extra blankets guard against chilly mountain nights. The only drawback is that units have shared verandas overlooking the cloud forest. A honeymoon cabin perched in solitary splendor has a king-size bed and a whirlpool tub with a panoramic view. Excellent meals featuring fresh trout are served at tree-trunk tables in a cozy restaurant with a wood stove. A bar and dining terrace gaze out over cascading trout ponds and the rushing river. Quetzal-watching, horseback riding, waterfall hikes, and an 11-platform canopy tour are some of the diversions.
- Address: Road to San Gerardo de Dota, 7½ km (4½ mile) down a dirt road from the Pan-American Hwy. San Gerardo de Dota, 11702
- Phone: 2740–1051; 2293–8181 in San José
- Website: www.grupomawamba.com
- Location: San Gerardo de Dota
- 22 rooms, 1 suite.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
Going to Costa Rica April 8th-17...Definitly doing Pacuare river rafting, and want to do Puerto Viejo/Cahuita and possibly Tortuguero depending on the turtles...this is the big question; I've just see Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo,... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more