When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
High Season: Mid-December to April
Climate is difficult to pinpoint in this vast region. The Northern Plains links the rainier Caribbean in the east to drier Guanacaste in the west. Precipitation generally decreases from east to west. Grecia, Sarchí, and San Ramón enjoy a climate similar to Costa Rica's higher-elevation Central Valley, with a well-defined dry season. Monteverde has a significantly different climate: it's cool, damp, and breezy much of the time, with high winds in January and February. Elsewhere, rain can occur outside the official wet season since the area's low elevation frequently hosts battles between competing weather fronts. Visibility changes daily (and hourly), so your chances of seeing the Arenal and Poás volcano craters are more or less the same year-round, though you may have more luck from February to April, the hottest and driest time of the year.
Low Season: June to mid-November
Throughout the entire region, the warm and humid rainy season normally lasts from June to December. Many places in Arenal and Monteverde are beginning to impose high-season rates in July and August to correspond with prime North American and European vacation times.
Shoulder Season: May to June
The wet season just starts to kick in by May, but rarely to a degree that will interfere with your travels. A little precipitation provides a welcome clearing and freshness of the air in the countryside.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Costa Rica: San Jose Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft San Jose, Costa Rica
- $99 -- Costa Rica All-Inclusive Beach Hotel, Save 55% Riu Hotels & Resorts
- $933 & up -- Costa Rica: 7 Nts. w/Hotel, Car Rental & Air LatinEscapes.com
- $999 -- Panama Canal 14-Night Cruise, $200 Off Norwegian Cruise Line