- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Geographically, the Zona Norte (Northern Zone), as it is known locally, separates neatly into two alluvial plains. The rich, lush terrain runs from the base of the Cordillera Central in the south to the Río San Juan, on the border with Nicaragua in the north. Most visitors begin their visit to Costa Rica in San José, many then heading north to La Fortuna, using it as a base for exploring the volcano, waterfall, and Caño Negro, and participating in activities like sportfishing, windsurfing, and kitesurfing at Lake Arenal, and rafting on the Sarapiquí River.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's