Costa Rica's only real remaining oxcart factory was founded in 1920, and its carpentry methods have changed little since then. The operation still bears the name of founder Eloy Alfaro, but the business and tradition have passed into other hands. The two-story wooden building housing the wood shop is surrounded by trees and flowers—mostly orchids—and all the machinery on the ground floor is powered by a waterwheel at the back of the shop. Carts are painted in the back,
and although the factory's main product is a genuine oxcart—which sells for about $2,000—there are also some smaller mementos that can easily be shipped home.