- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
La Selva Biological Station Lodge
At a Glance
- many activities, ecology-minded staff
- plenty of wildlife
- rustic rooms
- no a/c
- sometimes difficult to procure overnight space
Check Rates from our Partners
La Selva Biological Station Lodge Review
Other lodges provide more luxury for the money, but none can match the tropical nature experience at this working biological-research station where accommodation is in dorm-style rooms with large bunk beds and lots of screened windows or family-style cabins that sleep up to four. The restaurant, something like a school cafeteria, serves decent food but has a very limited schedule (reserve ahead). Rates for dorms or cabins are full-board, which includes a guided nature walk and three meals a day with your room rate, since there's nowhere else to eat. Priority is given to researchers, so advance reservations are essential.
- Address: 6 km (4 miles) south of Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí, Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí, 41001 | Map It
- Phone: 2766–6565; 2524–0607 in San José
- Website: www.threepaths.co.cr
- Location: La Selva Biological Station
- 60 bunk beds, 18 cabins, 1 family house.
- Rate includes all meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
We are flying into Liberia in mid April and we have 9 full days in Costa Rica with an 8 year old and a 3 year old. Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more