- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Virgen del Socorro area is one of the most popular "put-in points" for white-water rafters, and offers both Class II and III rapids. Trips leaving from the Chilamate put-in are more tranquil, with mostly Class I rapids. The put-in point depends on the weather and season.
Several operators lead tours on the Sarapiquí River.
Ríos Tropicales. You can raft the Sarapiquí River on day excursions from San José ($85). Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí, 41001. 2233–6455; 866/722–8273 in North America. www.riostropicales.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe