- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The route from La Fortuna to Nuevo Arenal around the north shore of Lake Arenal is in better shape than it has been in years, with only a couple of short atrocious sections to negotiate. Expect smooth sailing west of the Tabacón resort as far as the Arenal Dam, beyond which you should stick to daylight travel only. Watch out for the raccoonlike coatimundis (pizotes in Spanish) that scurry along the road. Longtime human feeding has diminished their ability to search for food on their own, and the cookies and potato chips they frequently get make matters worse. Public buses run twice daily from La Fortuna to Nuevo Arenal and beyond to Tilarán.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's