- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Rafting and Kayaking
Several La Fortuna operators offer Class III and IV white-water trips on the Río Toro. The narrow river requires the use of special, streamlined boats that seat just four and go very fast. The easier Balsa, Peñas Blancas, Arenal, and San Carlos rivers have Class II and III rapids and are close enough to town that they can be worked into half-day excursions.
Canoa Aventura. Canoeing trips with ample wildlife viewing on the Río Peñas Blancas are a specialty, as are daylong canoe tours of the Caño Blanco Wildlife Refuge. Tours are appropriate for beginners, with a selection of easy floats if you're not feeling too adventurous, and instruction is provided, but the folks here can tailor excursions if you're more experienced. 1 km west of the church, La Fortuna. 2479–8200. www.canoa-aventura.com.
Flow Trips. Local guides lead rafting excursions on the Sarapiquí river (Classes II, III, and IV), as well as kayaking trips on Lake Arenal and the Peñas Blancas river. 1 km/½ mi west of La Fortuna, La Fortuna, 21007. 2479–0075. www.flowtrips.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe