Northern Plains Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Northern Plains
Arenal Volcano: You can hear the rumblings of the world's third-most-active volcano for miles around, and, on clear nights, watch crimson rock and gas ooze down its flanks.
Walk down to the waterfall: The reward for a tough hike down to Cataratas de la Fortuna is a magnificent series of waterfalls.
Walk in a cloud: Explore Monteverde's misty world on treetop walkways up to 41 meters (138 feet) off the ground.
Watching wildlife: Waterbirds, monkeys, turtles, crocodiles, jaguars, and sloths abound in the 25,000-acre Caño Negro National Wildlife Refuge.
Windsurfing: Lake Arenal is one of the top windsurfing spots on earth; winds can reach 50 to 60 mph December through April.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe