- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Diving and Snorkeling
Half a dozen dive shops populate this small town. The standard price for a two-tank dive is $80; Catalina Island dives are $110. This coast doesn't have the coral reefs or the clear visibility of the Caribbean coast, but it does have a lot of plankton (hence the lower visibility) that feeds legions of fish, some of them really, really big. Manta rays and sharks (white-tipped, nurse, and bull varieties) are among the stars of the undersea show. It takes about 20 to 45 minutes to reach most dive sites.
Deep Blue Diving Adventures. This organization is a reliable option. 50 m before Hotel Coco on main street, Playas del Coco. 2670–1004. www.deepblue-diving.com.
Rich Coast Diving. This long-time operator has enthusiastic guides and instructors and limits tours to five divers per instructor and 15 divers per boat. Main street, near intersection with road to Playa Ocotal, Playas del Coco. 2670-0176. www.richcoastdiving.com.
Summer Salt Dive Center. Most of the dive shops have instruction, including this longstanding Main Street dive center. Main Street, Playas del Coco. 2670-0308. www.summer-salt.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's