- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Surfing cognoscenti dig the waves here, which are almost all rights, with beautifully shaped barrels. It's a spectacular, but treacherous, rock-reef break for experienced surfers only. There's also a small beach break to the south of the rocks where neophytes can cut their teeth. Both breaks can be ridden from mid- to high tide.
Hotel Playa Negra. The point break is right in front of the only beachfront hotel, which can arrange surfing classes ($35 per hour for a private lesson), and rents boards ($20 per day). 4 km/2½ mi northwest of Paraíso on dirt road, then follow signs carefully at forks in road; or 10 minutes south of Playa Avellanas on rough beach road, Playa Negra. 2652–9298. www.playanegra.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's