- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Playa Grande is renowned for having one of the most consistent surf breaks in the country. Only experienced surfers should attempt riding this beach break, which often features big barrels and offshore winds. The waves are best at high tide, especially around a full moon.
Hotel Bula Bula. You can rent both long- and shortboards for $15 to $25 a day at this surfer-friendly hotel. Palm Beach Estates, 2 km/1 mi east of Playa Grande, Playa Grande. 2653–0975. www.hotelbulabula.com.
Hotel Las Tortugas. Hotel Las Tortugas rents boards for $20 to $25 a day and offers surfing lessons at their beachfront Caribbean-style snack bar. Playa Grande.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's