- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Hotel Punta Islita
At a Glance
- gorgeous views
- ultraluxurious rooms
- top-notch service
- distant beach
- very pricey
- steep paths to and from restaurant and beach club but there is a shuttle van
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Punta Islita Review
Overlooking the ocean from a forested ridge, this secluded and sublime hotel is luxury incarnate, with villas, casitas, suites, and spacious rooms sprinkled around the bougainvillea-bedecked hillside. King-size beds have rough-hewn wooden bedposts and filmy curtains, and bathrooms are tiled, with deep tubs and mosaic detailing. Casitas and suites have their own private plunge pools or outdoor whirlpools and private gardens with a hammock, one of the main attractions for the many honeymooners. A massive thatched palapa covers the main restaurant, which opens onto an infinity-edge pool with an endless ocean view and a swim-up bar. Breakfasts, included in the rate, are excellent, as are lunches down at the breezy Beach Club, with its own oceanfront swimming pool. The food at the flagship 1492 Restaurant, though good, still doesn't reach the heights you would expect here. Service is impeccable and very personal—everyone knows your name. If you overdo it with the activities here—including golfing, mountain biking, horseback riding, and zip-line tours—stop by the tranquil, garden spa for sybaritic massage treatments using local herbs. The hotel works hard at being sustainable; its extensive community involvement has earned it the top five-leaf rating.
- Address: 16 km (11 miles) south of Playa Carrillo, Punta Islita | Map It
- Phone: 2231–6122 in San José; 2656–2020 hotel; 866/446–4053 toll-free U.S.
- Website: www.hotelpuntaislita.com
- Location: Punta Islita
- 14 rooms, 8 suites, 8 casitas, 25 villas.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We returned a couple of weeks ago from a wonderful family trip to Costa Rica and Panama. Read more
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
I am a 25 year old female hoping to travel this coming August....I am from Canada and am desperate to go to a country that will be hot with nice beaches, but also interesting culturally!
Any advice much Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more