- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Al Manglar Review
Hidden on a rutted side street near a mangrove, this informal Italian eatery beneath a large thatch roof may not look like much at first, but it's been a local favorite for more than 15 years. Italian cooks—two ladies of Verona—are in the kitchen, preparing fresh pasta, fish, and meat dishes to order, or sliding superthin, crispy pizzas out of the oven. They make the best pizza in town, with more than two dozen varieties to choose from. The ricotta-and-spinach ravioli with a sauce of porcini mushrooms have made many a mouth water, as have the homemade gnocchi—but ask for the salmon ravioli, which isn't on the menu but is often available, smothered in creamy shrimp sauce. Nearly everything is fresh, which means you have to wait a little longer. Wines are available by the carafe, and don't miss the homemade tiramisú.
- Address: 200 m west and 150 m south of Banco Nacional, Sámara, 50205
- Phone: 2656–0096
- Location: Sámara
- No lunch.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We returned a couple of weeks ago from a wonderful family trip to Costa Rica and Panama. Read more
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
I'm 28, female and live in the UK. Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo,... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more