- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Rincón de la Vieja Mountain Lodge
At a Glance
- close to park
- lots of tour options
- reasonably priced
- rustic rooms
- mediocre food
Check Rates from our Partners
Rincón de la Vieja Mountain Lodge Review
This is the closest you can stay to Las Pailas park entrance, which makes it a good spot for hikers and nature lovers who care more about the natural setting than fancy rooms. Hiking and horse trails lead to a hot sulfuric pool, and farther through the forest, to a blue lake and waterfall, and the volcano's crater deep in the park. The sunny log cabins (room numbers 39 and up), with colorful tiled bathrooms and porches with hammocks, are the best choices. Avoid the rows of connected older rooms (1 to 28), which are dark and gloomy. The low-ceilinged dining room is a little claustrophobic, with mediocre food served buffet-style, but the alfresco bar is lively in the evening, usually filled with small groups of international ecotourist types. The grounds and gardens are beautifully maintained, shaded by giant malinche trees, and there is a tiny dipping pool.
- Address: 21 km/12 mi northeast of Pan-American Hwy.; 5 km/3 mi north of Hacienda Guachipelín; 2 km/1 mi south of Las Pailas park entrance, Rincón de la Vieja National Park, 108-5000 | Map It
- Phone: 2200–0238
- Website: www.hotelrincondelaviejacr.com
- Location: Rincón de la Vieja National Park
- 42 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
Can anyone reccomend a good rafting outfit to use for the Pacuare River? Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more