- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Playa Grande Review
In addition to being a paradise for surfers and sunbathers, the narrow woodsy patch that lines this wide, pristine Blue Flag beach holds howler monkeys and an array of birds, and the mangrove estuary on the north end of the beach has crocodiles. Be aware that the surf is a little heavy for safe swimming and there's an abundance of mosquitoes during the rainy months, especially near the estuary, so bring plenty of repellent. The beach's shores and waters are protected within Las Baulas Marine National Park. Admission is free during daylight hours but off-limits at night during the turtle-nesting season (October 20 to February 20), when tourists come on guided turtle tours, hoping to catch the increasingly rare sight of a leatherback turtle building a nest and depositing eggs. The beach's protected status is in part because a surfer who arrived here more than 30 years ago was so upset by the widespread turtle-egg poaching that he adopted a conservationist's agenda. Louis Wilson, owner of Las Tortugas Hotel, spearheaded a campaign to protect the nesting baulas (leatherback turtles) that eventually resulted in the creation of Las Baulas Marine National Park. Amenities: food and drink. Best for: surfing; walking.
- Address: Playa Grande
- Location: Playa Grande
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $1099 -- Costa Rica 7-Night Riu All-Incl. Vacation w/Airfare — $1,099 Apple Vacations
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
I plan to visit CR in June
I am thinking of renting a car from San Jose Airport
1) Is driving around the country easy?
2) How accurate are the GPS
3) How is the roads?
4) Do they have proper signs Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more