- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
In deference to Lolita, the owners' pet pig (the original Lola used to freely roam the beach and enjoy the surf), the menu at this hip beach café is heavily vegetarian. It has exactly the kind of ambience one comes to Costa Rica for, with tables scattered along the beach amid palm and almond trees, hammocks swinging in the wind, palm fronds rustling, and surfers riding the glistening waves in front. Seating, or more precisely, lolling, is on reclining, African-style hardwood chairs, or at shaded tables. Along with fresh-fruit smoothies, ultrathin vegetarian pizzas, and veggie soy burgers, the menu includes organic chicken and "responsible fish" (fish caught in nets that don't also trap turtles). Seared ahi tuna with sun-dried tomatoes and olive tapenade served on ciabatta bread is a winner, as are the ceviche, fish-and-chips, and assorted salads. You can arrange in advance for private beach dinners (minimum 10 people) by candlelight.
- Address: At main entrance to Playa Avellanas, Playa Avellanas
- Phone: 2652–9097
- Location: Playa Avellanas
- Closed Mon. No dinner.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Diving amongst a vast school of hammerhead sharks in the Cocos Island of Costa Rica is accessible to experienced scuba divers or to the general traveller aboard a dive submersible. Read more
Pat Hewitt of Costa Rica Travel Exchange planned our great trip to Costa Rica. Read more
I am having a difficult time deciding on an itinerary for our 8 days in costa rica. Read more
· News & Features
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism. ... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Costa Rica's main draws are firmly rooted in its landscapes—rainforests, beaches, mountains, and... Read more