- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
At a Glance
- near park entrance
- lots of activities
- excellent value
- caters to lots of large groups and day visitors
- no air-conditioning in some rooms
- vegetarians may have trouble finding meat-free dishes
Check Rates from our Partners
Hacienda Guachipelín Review
One of the best values in the Rincón area for hair-raising adventure and nature tours, this hotel also gets top billing for its comfortable rooms, excellent restaurant, and friendly service. The 1,500-hectare (3,706-acre) working ranch is famous for its horses—more than 100 of them. Rugged ranch hands swagger around, giving the place a real cowboy flavor. Guachipelín is also famous for its wildlife and the nature trails that wind throughout this vast, partially forested property; they lead to several scenic waterfalls, hot springs, and mud baths. Older rooms are comfortable and homey, with screened windows to let in cool mountain air. Try to get a room between 32 and 39, all of which have volcano views from their front terrace. The newer rooms, numbers 32 and up, are larger and very elegantly furnished, arranged around a garden with towering trees and a gaggle of guard geese. They also have air-conditioning but you rarely need it here. Avoid Rooms 24 to 31, right beside the corral, unless you enjoy the aroma of horses. Hearty buffet and à la carte meals feature authentic touches, such as hand-rolled breakfast tortillas made on the spot, and beef and dairy products fresh from the hacienda's own herd. The pleasant open-air restaurant has valley views by day and a marimba band plays softly at dinner. The hotel's spa offers an array of treatments, from mud wraps to massages.
- Address: 17 km (10 miles) northeast of the Pan-American Hwy., on road to Las Pailas park entrance, Rincón de la Vieja National Park, 108-5000 | Map It
- Phone: 2666–8075
- Website: www.guachipelin.com
- Location: Rincón de la Vieja National Park
- 52 rooms, 2 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
Per this article from the LA Times/ when I visited CR I heard from expat friends who live there, that they vacation in Nicaragua!
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-nicaragua-20140309,0,5493507,full.story Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more