North Pacific Coast Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Church of San Blas

Church of San Blas Review

Nicoya's last remaining colonial landmark is the impressive, whitewashed, mission-style Church of San Blas. Originally built in 1644, the church was reconstructed after the first church was leveled by an 1831 earthquake. The spare interior is made grand by seven pairs of soaring carved-wood columns. Inside are folk-art wood carvings of the Stations of the Cross arrayed around the stark white walls, a small collection of 18th-century bronze mission bells, and some antique wooden saints. Arched doorways frame verdant views of park greenery and distant mountains.

    Contact Information

  • Address: North side of central park, Nicoya, 50201
  • Phone: No phone
  • Cost: By donation
  • Hours: Erratic hrs
  • Location: Nicoya
Updated: 03-12-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories