- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Hotel Playa Negra
At a Glance
- in front of reef break
- comfortable accommodation
- family suites available
- not a great swimming beach
- rocky road to hotel
Hotel Playa Negra Review
Pastel-color, round cabinas are sprinkled across sunny lawns strewn with tropical plants at this gorgeous oceanfront place with a huge round pool. Each bungalow has curvy tile bathrooms plus built-in, molded concrete sofas with soft cushions that can double as extra beds. There's no air-conditioning, but conical thatch roofs keep the cabinas cool. New, larger suite-bungalows do have air-conditioning, as well as a king-size bed and two singles, plus fridge and coffeemaker. Ocean tidal pools, swimming holes, and rock reefs provide plenty of opportunities for lazy afternoon exploration. This is great for surfers, with a good swell running right in front of the hotel. The round restaurant serves typical food with a few Continental dishes under a giant thatch roof, but the great ocean view is more of an attraction than the food. Hotel staff can arrange kayaking and horseback tours. Surf packages are also available.
- Address: 4 km (2½ miles) northwest of Paraíso on dirt road (watch signs for Playa Negra), then follow signs carefully at forks in road; or 10 minutes south of Playa Avellanas on beach road, Playa Negra,
- Phone: 2652-9134
- Website: www.playanegra.com
- Location: Playa Negra
- 10 bungalows; 7 bungalow suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Restaurant closed Sept. 1--Nov. 1.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 -- Costa Rica All-Inclusive Beach Hotel, Save 55% Riu Hotels & Resorts
- $933 & up -- Costa Rica: 7 Nts. w/Hotel, Car Rental & Air LatinEscapes.com
Just got back from a 11 day Costa Rica trip. Read more
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
I have never been to Costa Rica before but am planning a trip for myself and 2 kids (11 and 16 at that time). Read more
· News & Features
Costa Rica's main draws are firmly rooted in its landscapes—rainforests, beaches, mountains, and... Read more
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more