- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Hotel Playa Negra
At a Glance
- in front of reef break
- comfortable accommodation
- family suites available
- not a great swimming beach
- rocky road to hotel
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Playa Negra Review
Pastel-color, round cabinas are sprinkled across sunny lawns strewn with tropical plants at this gorgeous oceanfront place with a huge round pool. Each bungalow has curvy tile bathrooms plus built-in, molded concrete sofas with soft cushions that can double as extra beds. There's no air-conditioning, but conical thatch roofs keep the cabinas cool. New, larger suite-bungalows do have air-conditioning, as well as a king-size bed and two singles, plus fridge and coffeemaker. Ocean tidal pools, swimming holes, and rock reefs provide plenty of opportunities for lazy afternoon exploration. This is great for surfers, with a good swell running right in front of the hotel. The round restaurant serves typical food with a few Continental dishes under a giant thatch roof, but the great ocean view is more of an attraction than the food. Hotel staff can arrange kayaking and horseback tours. Surf packages are also available.
- Address: 4 km (2½ miles) northwest of Paraíso on dirt road (watch signs for Playa Negra), then follow signs carefully at forks in road; or 10 minutes south of Playa Avellanas on beach road, Playa Negra
- Phone: 2652–9134
- Website: www.playanegra.com
- Location: Playa Negra
- 10 bungalows; 7 bungalow suites.
- Rate includes no meals.
- Restaurant closed Sept. 1–Nov. 1.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We returned a couple of weeks ago from a wonderful family trip to Costa Rica and Panama. Read more
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
I'm 28, female and live in the UK. Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more