North Pacific Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the North Pacific Coast
Beaches: White sand, black sand; palm-fringed strands; beaches for swimming, partying, surfing, and sunbathing—you can't beat Guanacaste's beaches for sheer variety.
Big wind: From December to May, the trade winds whip across northern Guanacaste with a velocity and consistency that make the Bahía Salinas a world-class sailboarding and kitesurfing destination.
Endangered nature: Guanacaste's varied national parks protect some of Central America's last remaining patches of tropical dry forest, an unusual ecosystem where you might spot magpie jays or howler monkeys in the branches of a gumbo-limbo tree.
Scuba diving: Forget the pretty tropical fish. Sharks, rays, sea turtles, and moray eels are the large-scale attractions for divers on the Guanacaste coast.
Surfing: The waves are usually excellent at more than a dozen North Pacific beaches.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $95 -- Luxe Costa Rica Thermal Resort, Save 45% BookIt.com
- $99 -- Costa Rica All-Inclusive Beach Hotel, Save 55% Riu Hotels & Resorts
- $933 & up -- Costa Rica: 7 Nts. w/Hotel, Car Rental & Air LatinEscapes.com