- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Orosi Valley
If you have a day to spend near San José, this idyllic valley makes a classic day trip, passing through coffee plantations shaded by poró trees, oceans of chayote-squash vines, and small towns backed by verdant landscapes, with countless breathtaking views. It's a popular weekend drive for Costa Ricans, but still relatively off the beaten tourist path. The region is one of the few areas in Costa Rica that has remnants (ruins and churches) of the 17th-century Spanish colonial era. A good road makes a loop around the valley, easy to do if you have your own vehicle, or if you go on a guided tour—it's a staple of most San José tour operators' offerings. Public transportation is trickier here: Buses travel clockwise and counterclockwise, but neither route completes the loop.
The Orosi Valley at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central Valley
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's