- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
At a Glance
- birder's paradise
- hiking trails for guests
- warm atmosphere
- gourmet meals included
- some rooms are a little dated
- not a convenient base for adventure day trips
Check Rates from our Partners
Rancho Naturalista Review
Unparalleled bird-watching within a 160-acre private nature reserve with more than 400 recorded species, plus first-class food, and comfortable cabins and rooms are the reasons bird-watchers and nature lovers from all over the world stay here. The ranch is a birder's paradise, with such sought-after hummingbirds as the snowcap and black-crested coquette. During high season, two resident bird guides are on hand to help you find the birds. Even if you are not a birder, the trails are excellent for hiking, and there's horseback riding up into the surrounding mountains. The two-story lodge is upscale modern, with rustic touches, as are the comfortable, separate cabins. Gourmet-quality meals are served family-style in the indoor and outdoor dining rooms, both of which have beautiful views of the Turrialba Valley and volcano. Birding guides cost extra: $60 per group (up to five people) for morning excursions, $50 for afternoons.
- Address: 20 km (12 miles) southeast of Turrialba, 1½ km (1 mile) south of Tuís, then up a rough road, Turrialba, 30502
- Phone: 2554–8100; 888/246–8513 in North America; 2433–8278 for reservations
- Website: www.ranchonaturalista.net
- Location: Turrialba
- 12 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
We are flying into Liberia in mid April and we have 9 full days in Costa Rica with an 8 year old and a 3 year old. Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more