- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Hotel Los Volcanes
At a Glance
- airport proximity
- good value
- historic ambience
- some rooms are noisy
- no views
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Los Volcanes Review
Budget travelers looking for airport proximity will find this urban oasis an excellent value. Descendants of the Catalan family that thrived in this heritage house in 1920 still live next door, and historic photos of the mansion in its heyday line the earth-tone walls inside. The spacious rooms have low-slung, wide beds that make the ceilings seem sky-high—but avoid the room next to the washer and dryer. Breakfast is served in a courtyard shaded by a fig tree. Plenty of restaurants are within walking distance, the airport is a 10-minute taxi ride away, and just a few blocks away is the bus stop for La Garita, Poás, and most destinations in central and northwest Costa Rica.
- Address: Avda. 3, Cs. 2–Central, 100 m north, 25 m east of the northwest corner of Parque Central, across from Juan Santamaría Museum, Alajuela, 20101
- Phone: 2441–0525
- Website: www.hotellosvolcanes.com
- Location: Alajuela
- 15 rooms, 11 with bath.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
We are flying into Liberia in mid April and we have 9 full days in Costa Rica with an 8 year old and a 3 year old. Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo, ... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more