- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Costa Rica 2014
Santo Domingo's main attraction is INBioparque, which does an excellent job of not only explaining the country's various ecosystems, but also taking you into them. It's a useful, if slightly expensive, primer before heading out to the hinterlands. You'll wander trails through climate-controlled wetlands and out to tropical dry forest. The forests may not look much different, but your English-speaking guide will explain the subtleties. Along the way, stop at the butterfly farm, insect exhibits, and bromeliad garden. For an extra $3 you can visit the 15 species of snakes housed here in the National Serpentarium. The tour is packed with information—perhaps too much—but if you're visiting Costa Rica for its ecology, it's a worthwhile lesson. An open-air, upscale cafeteria serves typical Costa Rican fare, with a playground within view of terrace tables. The gift shop has a great selection of tagua-nut jewelry and natural history-themed souvenirs and books. Reservations are required for tours.
- Address: Road between Santo Domingo and Heredia, 400 m north and 250 m west of Shell gas station, Santo Domingo, 40301 | Map It
- Phone: 2507–8107
- Cost: $25
- Hours: Fri.–Sun. 9–5 (last admission at 4). Tours at 9, 11, and 2. Mon.–Thurs. by reservation.
- Website: www.inbioparque.com
- Location: Santo Domingo
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We had a fabulous first trip to Costa Rica at Christmas 2012, visiting Arenal (Lost Iguana Lodge & Villa Decary), Tortuguero (Manatus Lodge), Osa Peninsula (Drake’s Bay Aguila de Osa and south Read more
Dear Gate One Travel,
I recently returned from a trip booked with Gate One Travel with my family to Costa Rica and wanted to share our experience.
Reservation # 678910 10 Day Classic Costa Rica with Manuel Read more
My family is considering a trip to Costa Rica from April 18-26th and I am a bit concerned about the Easter rush (not to mention the high prices). Read more
· News & Features
Hyatt Hotels Corporation's growing Andaz brand unveiled its latest property, the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo,... Read more
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism.... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more