- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
For the 25-minute drive from San José, drive east on Avenida 2 through San Pedro and Curridabat to the highway entrance, where you have three road options—take the middle one marked Cartago. Shortly before Cartago, a Y intersection marks the beginning of the route up Irazú, with traffic to Cartago veering right. Buses between San José and Cartago leave every 10 minutes daily (Avenida 10 and Calle 5, 400 meters south of the Teatro Nacional) from 5 am to 6 pm; after 6 the buses leave from Avenida 2 between Calle 1/3, in front of the National Theater. Cartago buses to San José pick up 300 meters west of the Municipal Museum of Cartago (formerly called the Comandancia), from 4:35 am to 11 pm. Buses to Orosi leave Cartago every 15 minutes from 5:15 am to 7:30, then every 30 minutes until 7 pm, with a bus at 8 and 9 pm, 100 meters east, 25 meters (82 feet) south of the southeast corner of Las Ruinas.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's