- Avian adventures Flock to Tapantí National Park to see emerald toucanets, resplendent quetzals (if you're lucky), and nearly every species of Costa Rican hummingbird. Rancho Naturalista is the bird lover’s hotel of choice.
- Coffee Get up close and personal with harvesting and processing on coffee tours at two of the valley's many plantations Café Britt and Doka Estate.
- Poás Volcano Peer right down into the witches’ cauldron that is the Poás Volcano.
- The Orosi Valley Spectacular views and quiet, bucolic towns make this area a great day trip or overnight from San José.
- Rafting the Pacuare River Brave the rapids as you descend through tropical forest on one of the best rivers in Central America.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More