- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Piedra Mar Review
With all the new restaurants popping up along the beach road, the favorite standby is still this old shack down on the beach. Tables and plastic chairs are set up under a corrugated tin roof, and the only decor is the rocky seascape, 10 feet away. Your shrimp ($10) or lobster (just $18 when available) comes flavored with garlic and—on windy days—the sea spray crashing against the rocks. Sunset is popular with locals, so come early; the restaurant closes at 8:30. Or come for breakfast at 8 and watch the early-morning sun light up the ocean.
- Address: 275 m south of Blue Jay Lodge, Malpaís
- Phone: 2640–0069
- Hours: Closed Sun.
- Location: Malpaís and Santa Teresa
- No credit cards.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Diving amongst a vast school of hammerhead sharks in the Cocos Island of Costa Rica is accessible to experienced scuba divers or to the general traveller aboard a dive submersible. Read more
Pat Hewitt of Costa Rica Travel Exchange planned our great trip to Costa Rica. Read more
I am having a difficult time deciding on an itinerary for our 8 days in costa rica. Read more
· News & Features
Officials plan to close Costa Rica's two public zoos and free animals due to environmentalist criticism. ... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Costa Rica's main draws are firmly rooted in its landscapes—rainforests, beaches, mountains, and... Read more