- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- good value
- across street from beach
- a bit cramped
- busy on weekends
Hotel Tioga Review
This grande dame of Puntarenas hotels is showing a bit of age, but it still evokes a bygone era when Puntarenas was the destination on the Central Pacific coast. Face-lifts over the years have helped modernize the place a bit, and it still has the advantage of sitting across the street from a tree-filled park and the prettiest part of the city's Blue Flag beach. Glimpses of the past hang in hallways of the first to third floors with black-and-white photographs of Puntarenas in the early 1900s. Your best bets are the 11 "executive" guest rooms upstairs, with balconies overlooking the gulf, pleasantly decorated with colorful, tropical prints and heavy varnished dark-wood furniture. Rooms around the courtyard, which holds a small pool, can be noisy. The second-floor restaurant is open to cool breezes off the gulf.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $144-$159 -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Luxury Resort, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com
- $769 -- Costa Rica 4-Star All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, $500 Off — $769 Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hello to All!
Well, first a big thank you to all who take the time to answer questions, give advice, and post your own trip reports. Know that your efforts have helped shape this fantastic trip that follows… Read more
My husband and I just returned from 9 nights at the Palace. Read more
Just a heads up for any who may have booked TACA via LA or NY.
http://www.ticotimes.net/More-news/News-Briefs/Avianca-Taca-drops-five-nonstop-flights-to-Costa-Rica-lays-off-261-employees_Saturday-May-18-2013 Read more
· News & Features
Surf, sand, and low key vibes draw visitors to Costa Rica on a pretty continual basis.... Read more
The deck of a cruise ship isn't just a classic lounge spot - it's a way to show your kids the world.... Read more
There's a light at the end of the wedding-planning tunnel: the honeymoon.... Read more