- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When the surf is up, riptides are a dangerous problem on Playa Espadilla, Manuel Antonio's main beach, which runs parallel to the road to the park's entrance.
Playa Biesanz. For a less-turbulent swim and smaller crowds, head to this beach within a sheltered cove. It also has good snorkeling. Amenities : none Best for: solitude; snorkeling. Near Hotel Parador, Manuel Antonio, 60601.
Playa Manuel Antonio. Manuel Antonio's safest swimming area is sheltered Playa Manuel Antonio, the second beach in the national park. Its white sand makes it attractive for lounging around, and it's also a good place for snorkeling. There are plenty of palm trees where you can find shade on this wide stretch of sand, and just outside the park are vendors selling fresh coconut water and lychees. Huge mounds of lava rock shelter this cove on both sides. Amenities: food and drink. Best for: swimming; sunbathing. 6 km south of Quepos; near park entrance, Manuel Antonio, 60601.
Never leave your valuables unattended while you're swimming.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $769 & up -- Costa Rica All-Incl. Escape w/Air & Spa Credit CheapCaribbean.com