- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
From Paquera it's a 90-minute drive to Malpaís via Cóbano. After Cóbano, the road quickly deteriorates. It can become quite muddy in the rainy season, so you'll want a 4WD vehicle. There are no direct buses between Paquera and Malpaís; to get here you have to change buses in the southern peninsula's hub town of Cóbano. Taxis waiting at Tambor's airstrip will take up to four people to Malpaís for $40–$50.
Tropical Tours. The trip between Jacó and Malpaís takes about two hours, thanks to a fast daily boat service ($40) between Jacó and Montezuma, followed by an hour's drive. Tropical Tours can also set you up with a shuttle to San José ($40). 50 m north of El Cruce, Malpaís, 60111. 2640–1900. www.tropicaltours-malpais.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe