- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
From November to May, the Malpaís area has some of Costa Rica's most consistent surf, as well as clear skies and winds that create idyllic conditions. Playa Carmen is the area's most consistent surf spot for all levels, and has dozens of beach breaks scattered along its shores. The sea grows rough and dirty during the May-to-December rainy season, with frequent swells that make it impossible to get out. Playa Santa Teresa is a better option when the waves at Playa Carmen are too gnarly. In Malpaís, at Mar Azul, more advanced surfers can try the break over a rock platform.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's