- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Northern Lowlands
The lowlands begin about an hour north of San José, and, for most visitors, are a tract of land merely to get through on the way to the coast. The Caribbean does beckon, after all, but a couple of lesser sights here may tempt you to stop. If you stay on the well-maintained main Guápiles Highway, you head southeast toward Limón and the Caribbean coast. The highway passes through sultry agricultural lowlands, home to large banana and cacao plantations, but bypasses the region's three main communities: burgeoning Guápiles and the smaller towns of Guácimo and Siquirres.
The Northern Lowlands at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's