- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
You have your choice of mackerel, tarpon, snook, and snapper if you fish in the ocean; snook and calba if you fish in the canals. If you opt for the latter, the National Parks Service levies a $30 license fee (you are fishing in the confines of Tortuguero National Park), good for one month. Operators add the fee to your price.
Eddie Brown. Longtime area fishing expert Eddie Brown and his brother Roberto are based out of Tortuga Lodge and have daylong fishing packages for $600. Tortuguero, 70205. 2710-8016.
Elvin Gutiérrez. Known as "Primo" to everyone in town, Elvin Gutiérrez takes two passengers out on the ocean for two hours or more, at $75 per hour, or for a full nine-hour day ($500). Prices include boat, motor, guide, and refreshments. Tortuguero, 70205. 2709–8115. www.tortuguerosportsfish.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's