- Experience a volcano When Arenal, one of the world's most active volcanoes, is not dormant, you can hear it rumbling, and, on clear nights, see plumes of gas and rock spouting from its dome.
- Walk down to a waterfall The reward for a tough hike down to Cataratas de la Fortuna is a magnificent series of waterfalls.
- Walk in a cloud Explore Monteverde's misty world on treetop walkways up to 41 meters (138 feet) off the ground.
- Watch wildlife Birds, monkeys, turtles, crocodiles, jaguars, and sloths abound in the 25,000-acre Caño Negro National Wildlife Refuge.
- Windsurf Lake Arenal is one of the top windsurfing spots on earth; winds can reach 50 to 60 mph mid-November through April.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More