- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
To get to Placencia, head southeast from Belmopan on the Hummingbird Highway. The highway is one of Belize's better roads, as well as its most scenic. On your right rise the jungle-covered Maya Mountains, largely free of signs of human habitation except for the occasional field of corn or beans. As you approach Dangriga you'll see large citrus groves.
Several small local outfits, including Barefoot Services, rent cars in Placencia. Some also rent golf carts, which can be driven on the roads. Budget, based in Belize City, has a branch in Placencia. Car rental rates in Placencia start at around BZ$160 per day, plus tax.
Barefoot Services (Caribbean Travel and Tours Office, Main St., Placencia. 523/3066 or 629/9602. www.barefootservicesbelize.com. Closed Sat.)
Budget (Live Oak Plaza, south of airstrip, Placencia. 223/2435 in Belize City; 523/3068 in Placencia. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.budget-belize.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's