- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
In the south, James Bus Line runs from Belize City via Belmopan to Dangriga and Independence and then Punta Gorda. Schedules are subject to change, but James Bus Line has about 10 buses daily. Ritchie's Bus Line also has three to four buses daily each way between Dangriga and Placencia, with reduced service on Sunday. Fares from Belize City are around BZ$15 to Dangriga (BZ$10 between Dangriga and Placencia). With connections, the trip from Belize City to Dangriga and Hopkins is three to five hours; Placencia is around five to six hours or more, depending on the number of stops and connections. Buses are usually old U.S. school buses or ancient Greyhound buses, are often crowded, and don't have air-conditioning or restrooms. The James Bus Line buses generally are in the best condition.
James Bus Line (7 King St., Punta Gorda. 702/2049.)
Ritchie's Bus Line. Tickets sold at Placencia Tourism office, or flag down the bus and pay conductor. Ritchie's Bus Service, Main Rd., Placencia. 523/3806. www.ritchiesbusservice.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's