- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- exotic Balinese furnishings
- delightful outdoor showers
- beautiful seaside setting
- no a/c
- food and drinks are surprisingly expensive
- some maintenance needed
Turtle Inn Review
Francis Ford Coppola's second hotel in Belize is if nothing else exotic, with the furnishings, art, and most of the construction materials bought in Bali by the film director and his wife. On a recent stay, however, we discovered it's time for some refurbishing and maintenance, a little surprising given that the cheapest cabaña goes for over BZ$1,050 a night in-season, with only a Continental breakfast included. The two-bedroom villas have not one or two, but three bathrooms (two Japanese-style ones indoors and one in a walled outdoor garden). Despite the cost, go for a seafront cabaña to catch the breezes, as there's no air-conditioning, and the units at the back can be very, very hot. The open-air restaurant, Mare, is great for pizza (baked in a wood-burning oven), seafood, and Neibaum-Coppola wines; a second restaurant, Gauguin, specializes in beach barbecue, and a third in Belizean dishes. You're only a short hike or bike ride into the village to sample the restaurants there. There are two pools and a nice stretch of beach. Turtle Inn offers diving, snorkeling, fishing, and other tours.
- Address: Placencia Rd., 2 miles (3 km) north of Placencia village Placencia Village | Map It
- Phone: 824/4912; 800/746–3743 in U.S. and Canada
- Website: www.coppolaresorts.com
- Location: Placencia Peninsula
- 25 thatch villas.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Thank you to everybody who responded to my previous post about Belize. Read more
· News & Features
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more