- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- exotic Balinese furnishings
- delightful outdoor showers
- beautiful seaside setting
- no a/c
- food and drinks are surprisingly expensive
- some maintenance needed
Check Rates from our Partners
Turtle Inn Review
Francis Ford Coppola's second hotel in Belize is if nothing else exotic, with the furnishings, art, and most of the construction materials bought in Bali by the film director and his wife. On a recent stay, however, we discovered it's time for some refurbishing and maintenance, a little surprising given that the cheapest cabaña goes for over BZ$1,050 a night in-season, with only a Continental breakfast included. The two-bedroom villas have not one or two, but three bathrooms (two Japanese-style ones indoors and one in a walled outdoor garden). Despite the cost, go for a seafront cabaña to catch the breezes, as there's no air-conditioning, and the units at the back can be very, very hot. The open-air restaurant, Mare, is great for pizza (baked in a wood-burning oven), seafood, and Neibaum-Coppola wines; a second restaurant, Gauguin, specializes in beach barbecue, and a third in Belizean dishes. You're only a short hike or bike ride into the village to sample the restaurants there. There are two pools and a nice stretch of beach. Turtle Inn offers diving, snorkeling, fishing, and other tours.
- Address: Placencia Rd., 2 miles (3 km) north of Placencia village Placencia Village | Map It
- Phone: 824/4912; 800/746–3743 in U.S. and Canada
- Website: www.coppolaresorts.com
- Location: Placencia Peninsula
- 25 thatch villas.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
Hello, I follow some of the posts but have never posted anything regarding a getaway. Read more
· News & Features
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more