The Southern Coast Hotels
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Southern Coast Hotel Reviews
There are two kinds of lodging to choose from on the Southern Coast: small, basic hotels, often Belizean-owned, and upscale beach resorts, usually owned and operated by Americans or Canadians. The small hotels are clustered in Placencia Village, Hopkins village, and in Dangriga town. The beach resorts are on the Placencia peninsula north of Placencia Village and also near Hopkins. Several of these resorts, including Francis Ford Coppola's Turtle Inn and the Inn at Robert's Grove on the Placencia peninsula, Kanantik between Hopkins and Placencia, and Hamanasi in Hopkins, are among the best hotels in Belize. There also are a small number of vacation rental houses near Hopkins and on the Placencia peninsula.
At least a dozen condo developments have opened, are under construction, or are in the planning stages on Placencia peninsula and near Hopkins. Only time will tell whether all these plans will fully materialize or whether supply will outstrip demand, but it's clear that this area has reached the point where development by large international companies is inevitable.
Browse Southern Coast Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize - Cayo District & Placencia Experience IExplore
- Belize Family IExplore
- Belize Active - Cayo District & San Pedro — $2,399 IExplore
- Belize Family — $2,700 IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore