- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The paving of the Hummingbird and Southern highways has made the journey to Punta Gorda much shorter and more pleasant. At this writing, only a short section of the Southern Highway near Big Falls was unpaved, and work was underway to complete this section.
Off the Southern Highway, most roads are unpaved. In dry weather they're bumpy yet passable, but after heavy rains the dirt roads can turn into quagmires even for four-wheel-drive vehicles. Most tertiary roads are not well marked, so you may have to stop frequently for directions. Despite this, expensive taxis and infrequent bus service to and from the Mayan villages are arguments for renting a car.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe