- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Several bus lines, including James Bus Lines, Usher's, and El Buen Pastor, run the routes between PG and points north. James buses generally are in the best condition and are the most comfortable. From Belize City to Punta Gorda it's a six- to -seven-hour trip via Belmopan and Dangriga, depending on connections and whether it's an express or local bus. It costs around BZ$15 to Dangriga, BZ$20 to Placencia, and BZ$$22-BZ$30 to PG. Most buses are old U.S. school buses—they're usually crowded and have no air-conditioning. If you have the budget, fly.
Buses run frequently—generally about every one to two hours during daylight hours—on the Southern Highway between Dangriga and PG, but public transportation is very limited off the highway. On market days (generally Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday) buses leave the main plaza in PG around noon. Different buses, mostly old American school buses operated by local entrepreneurs, go to different villages, returning on market days very early in the morning. There's no published schedule—you have to ask locally. Fares are modest, BZ$2-BZ$4. As of this writing, buses served the villages of Barranco, Big Falls, Crique Jute, Crique Sarco, Golden Stream, Indian Creek, Jalacte, Laguna, San Antonio, San Marcos, San Miquel, San Pedro Columbia, Pueblo Viejo, and Silver Creek.
James Bus Line (7 King St., Punta Gorda. 702/2049 or 664/2185.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize City Savings! Book at Princess & Casino Fr $109+/Nt Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Belize City Fr $151+/Nt Travelocity
- Super Sale! 6 Nts The Great House + Air Fr $1,101 Travelocity
- Radisson Fort George and Marina in May: $180 & Up — $180 Expedia
- 2% OFF Radisson Fort George and Marina! 3 Nts + Air Fr $1,053 — $1,053 Travelocity