- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Although the Maya are by far the largest population in rural Toledo, this is also a home to the Garífuna. Barranco, a small village of fewer than 200 people about an hour by road from Punta Gorda, is the best-known Garífuna center in Toledo. The village, the southernmost coastal village in Belize, has electricity and a community phone, one or two shops, a bar, a police station, a health clinic, and a school. It was the birthplace of Andy Palacio, the Punta rock musician with a worldwide following, who died in 2008 at age 46. Palacio is buried in Barranco, and you can visit his grave. A guided village tour takes a couple of hours and includes, in addition to a visit to the Palacio gravesite, stops at the Dabuyaba (Garífuna temple), the House of Culture, and a cassava factory, all providing lots of information on the local culture. Lunch in a local home is also possible. A good guide is Alvin Loredo (reach him on the Barranco community telephone, 709–2010), who charges around BZ$10 per person per hour. TIDE, Blue Belize Tours and Charters, and other tour operators also offer tours to Barranco.
- Address: Barranco
- Phone: 709/2010 Barranco community telephone
- Location: The Maya Heartland
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Thank you to everybody who responded to my previous post about Belize. Read more
· News & Features
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible ... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more